Saturday, August 17, 2013

Part 1: The beginning,

since that's where you usually start these stories isn't it? In this case I'll have to backtrack a ton just a bit. So hunker down, grab a drink, use the bathroom, this might take a while...

I guess our story starts (our house story that is) a few years ago when we both agreed we were tired of living in town. Darrell wanted land and I wanted to get away from our neighbors. We looked for a looooong time until we came upon a parcel that seemed too good to be true. We jumped at the chance and soon became owners of 42.6 wooded acres on the outskirts of town on a road primarily frequented by Amish. Yes, Amish..

We had the land, next came the house. This is where the fun (or so I thought) started. We first had to decide if we were going to build a stick built house or modular - I was pushing for modular because they take less time IMO. We scoured online plans, discussed the look we were going for - the absolute must haves, square footage, etc. We were also looking into different builders near us (and by near us I mean within a 200 mile radius because nothing is technically near us...) We ended up going with G&I homes located out of Brewerton, down near where Darrell's brother lives.

Back to the lot:
The man we bought it from had already installed 2 driveways on the lot - one on either end of the 42.6 acres to entice people to buy it... we ended up using the driveway near the north end of the property near the large spruce tree farm that was planted on that end.

They're magnificent.
Here's the driveway we decided to use.


For a while I was taking pruning shears and trimming the trees and thick plants that were starting to overtake it so that we could at least walk down to the site without having to use a machete. We've made it a bit a wider and longer since then, when construction on the lot officially started!


Who knew I could be so excited over a driveway??!? The day the foundation contractor installed it I made Darrell drive up and down it with me in his truck a few times so I could get a feel for how it would be to drive this everyday, coming and going from our new home. (With room to turn around by the house since I can't back out of it to save my life). It was amazing, all 350 feet of it!

In the meantime we were busy officially deciding on house plans and fixtures and finishes and adjustments to house plans and fixtures and finishes....

Picking everything out really was the most fun I've had with this entire process - everything else has just been a LOT of waiting. Depending on other contractors and people has been a pain in the ass hassle as well.

Anywho! I think that's enough for this post.
Thanks for dropping by :)

No comments:

Post a Comment