Tuesday, August 20, 2013

This past Monday

started out horribly. I misread the date on my dentist appointment card and drove 90 minutes for my appointment that wasn't until Wednesday... yup... it was pretty marvelous. To salvage the trip I figured I'd stop by School Daze to grab a few things for my classroom, and Michael's Craft Store to see if they had anything on sale that my kids (students) could use. It was 8:30 in the morning... School Daze didn't open until 10 and Michaels, 9. I wasn't sticking around to wait so I grabbed a coffee at Dunkin' and headed to school (which was on my way home) to get some things done in my room.

I was in a miserable mood...
I turned the radio on and started repainting a few of the bookshelves in my classroom. Then I remembered that I had to call the NYS Education Dept. to check on the status of my Professional Teaching Certificates. I'd applied for them at the beginning of June. When you graduate college and take your certification exams, if you pass the exams and complete your college coursework for the education major, you apply for your initial certifications. You hold these until you get 3 full years of teaching experience under your belt, and a Masters degree in the field of education. After four years of subbing, 1 full year of teaching, and having completed my masters, I applied. I sent in all of the necessary paperwork and waited. 2 of my certifications expire on August 31st, so when the middle of August arrived I was a bit nervous at how long the process seemed to be taking. Thankfully a friend of mine gave me a number at the state to call that would be able to answer my questions about when my Professional Certs would be given.

This brings me to Betty - the nicest NYSEdDept worker I've ever met. I asked her if she could look into my account and see where my paperwork might be in the process of approval. While waiting for her computer to load we got to talking. Her computer was taking forever and she began to complain that it must be Monday because this, as well as the rest of her day, is taking forever. I chuckled, and asked her if I could share a small story. She obliged - and I told her about my morning. Her response: Well, honey - I'm going to make your day a hell of a lot brighter - I'm looking into your paperwork, everything looks good, I've just approved all of your professional certifications.

I could have cried! I thanked her, hung up the phone, and back flipped down the school hallway. (Not really) I called Darrell and my Mom and told them the great news.

I am now an official Professional NYS Certified Teacher and I couldn't be happier!!

No comments:

Post a Comment